2020 – 2021 Timeline
- May 15, 2020 – Application Posted
- July 16, 2020 – Application Deadline
- August 6, 2020 – Board Meeting for Class Selection
- August 7, 2020 – Notification of Selection
- August 26, 2020 – Tuition Due
- August 27, 2020 – Public Announcement (Manhattan)
The Flint Hills Regional Leadership Program application is completed via online form submission and consists of the following eight (8) sections:
- Personal Contact Information
- Employer / Sponsor Contact Information
- Current and Previous Work Experience
- Community Involvement
- Leadership and Goals
- Scholarship & Declaration of Commitment
As the Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) pandemic continues to change the way we work, we are committed to doing our part. In lieu of face-to-face interviews, the 2020-2021 application will require a “Virtual Interview Answer” for which applicants will have the opportunity to to record and upload a 1 – 3 minute video introduction and answer to the following prompt:
How will the Flint Hills Regional Leadership Program benefit you and the future of our region?
All applicants must complete the online application during the application period. Applications will not be carried forward. If not selected, applicants have the opportunity to apply again for the next leadership class.
Upon meeting the annual application deadline, the selection committee will review applications and the final selection will be based on:
- Candidates must live and/or work on Fort Riley or within Geary, Riley and Pottawatomie Counties
- An application that indicates significant commitment to effecting positive community and regional change
- History of civic engagement and potential for positive influence on our regions life and livelihood
- Curiosity in deepening knowledge of regional issues and opportunities
- A desire to work collaboratively with leaders across geographical, political, and institutional boundaries
The FHRLP Selection Committee is comprised of the Board of Trustees (FHRLP staff and select alumni) and the committee will select up to 30 participants for the program annually. Each year the committee seeks to select a class reflective of the diverse elements of our region – individuals diverse with regard to ethnicity, gender, geography, profession, community service, and demonstrated leadership.
If selected, participants are expected to commit to the following:
- Attendance – The Flint Hills Regional Leadership Program is a comprehensive program that consists multiple full-day programs that are generally held from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Participants are expected to attend all sessions of the program.
- Cost – Tuition of $600 is required after acceptance to the class to cover program costs associated to the sessions. Program costs include accommodations, group transportation, and most meals (breakfast/refreshments and lunch each program day). *Participants are responsible for their own travel to and from the group transportation location each session and have the opportunity to share dietary restrictions following acceptance to the class.
Tuition is normally $600 payable after selection, however, during Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) pandemic and recovery period, the FHRLP board of directors has accessed an internal grant from endowment funds to reduce tuition by 50%. Tuition for the 2020-2021 class is $300.
For nominees and applicants from non-profit organizations, the Ailleen Cray Scholarship Fund, made possible thanks to alumni dues, offers a limited number of partial scholarships for applicants finding the full tuition fee is a restrictive consideration for participation. Applicants may indicate their need for financial assistance on their application.